Narkel puli pitha/Heavenly Coconut Stuffed Dumpling
Preparation Time: 30 minute
Cook Time: 20 minute
Total Time: 50 minute
Recipe Type: Breakfast, Brunch, Snack, Dessert
- 1 cup date jaggery (Gur)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cups desiccated coconut, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cups rice flour
- 1 ½ cup water
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Oil for deep frying
How to make the recipe:
- Boil water and add the gur/Jaggery.
- As gur melts add coconut to the pan. Cook stirring often until the mixture is semi sticky but not runny
Make pitha/dumpling dough:
- Boil water. Add salt and oil.
- Add rice flour to boiling water and keep stirring with a wooden spoon to form a firm but soft and not sticky dough. Adjust flour accordingly.
- Knead well for about 3-4 minutes.
- Take a portion of the dough and roll it out as thick tortilla, about a quarter of an inch thick.
- Cut out circles with a cookie cutter.
- Place a small amount of coconut filling on each circle. Repeat the process with the remaining dough.
- Brush the edges of with water and seal tightly to form a crescent (semi-circular) shape.
- Heat oil.
- Fry the narikel puli pitha in medium heat until the dough is cooked through and slightly golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Adjust water and four for the dough depending on the quality of flour.
- You can also use beef or chicken as an alternative option of coconut.
Will Narkel puli pitha float your new year. You may want to start with