Simple Mackerel Recipes
Mackerel is an oily fish rich in omega 3 so its pretty good for a healthy diet. The most important thing about mackerel fillets is they taste so good and with such a distinctive flavour. Having such a great flavour means you can add virtually any other ingredient and the mackerel will still come shine through. The versatility of simple mackerel recipes is endless.
Mackerel is a common name applied to a number of different species of pelagic fish, mostly, but not exclusively, from the family Scombridae. They are found in both temperate and tropical seas, mostly living along the coast or offshore in the oceanic environment.
Mackerel typically have vertical stripes on their backs and deeply forked tails. Many species are restricted in their distribution ranges, and live in separate populations or fish stocks based on geography. Some stocks migrate in large schools along the coast to suitable spawning grounds, where they spawn in fairly shallow waters. After spawning they return the way they came, in smaller schools, to suitable feeding grounds often near an area of upwelling. From there they may move offshore into deeper waters and spend the winter in relative inactivity. Other stocks migrate across oceans. wiki
Having recently purchased a pack of mackerel fillets (it contained 6 mini fillets) costing around £2.60 (£17 a kilo)from Sainsbury’s which seemed pretty good value. It seems the best value mackerel fillets are found not unsurprisingly in Aldi at £1.49 a pack (£7.45 a kilo) I was determined to do something a little different this time. So off on a fridge raid in search of something to tantalise the taste buds.
Simple Mackerel Recipes
The first recipe I came up with was simple salad ingredients I had to hand which would accompany the mint & yoghurt dressing I had made the previous day.
- 2 Mackerel fillets (flaked)
- 1 Stick of Celery
- Walnuts handful (chopped)
- 2 spring onions chopped
- 1/2 courgette
- Hand full of salad leaves
- 4 Baby plum tomatoes
- 1 slice of bread
- 2 tsp Dried Mint
- 2 tsp of sugar
- 100 ml plain yogurt
- 1/2 lemon
- Flake the mackerel and place in a bowl
- cut baby plum tomatoes add to the same bowl
- Chop the spring onions and add to the bowl
- The walnuts can be chopped and added to the bowl or you can toast them to add a extra depth of flavour
- The courgette needs to be chopped and then pan fried in a little butter and seasoned until browned
- allow to cool and then add to the bowl
- Chop the salad leaves and add to the bowl
- Finely chop the celery and add to the bowl
- For the Mint Sauce
- add the dried mint to a small bowl and squeeze the lemon juice onto the mint
- add the yogurt, mix and add the sugar, taste add more sugar if required
- Toast the bread and butter, slice
- assemble the ingredients in a bowl and add the mint yogurt dressing
The second 2 fillets I wanted to zing it up another level so I had to get 1 more ingredient as it has stopped growing in the garden for now. Coriander, full of flavour and great with any salsa dish, so thats exactly what I called it, Mackerel Salsa. I also had some nearly stale leftover homemade focaccia that needed using up.
Mackerel SalsaPrint This
- 2 Mackerel fillets
- 1/4 chilli
- 1 slice of nearly stale bread
- small handful of coriander
- 1/2 Lime
- 3 Baby plum tomatoes
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 tsp of good olive oil
Finely chop the onion and place in a small bowl
chop and add the coriander to the bowl
dice the tomatoes and add
Squeeze the lime over the onion coriander and tomatoes and season. S&P
Whilst the lime is marinading the onions toast the bread, I toasted mine in a frying pan with a little olive oil
Add the chilli to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix well
Flake the Mackerel into the bowl mix
Serve on the toasted bread and ad an extra squeeze of the lime
Is Mackerel Healthy
I have 2 more fillets left to conjure up something different for my simple mackerel recipe ideas. Whats your favourite simple mackerel recipe if you would like to share your ideas that would be fantastic.
A great Salsa Recipe good with any grilled meats.